Thursday, February 3, 2011

What is February 3rd?

On New Year's Day, my girlfriend and I were discussing when we might have another occasion to celebrate together. Here's the conversation as I recall it:

Her: When are we going to get together like this again? 
Me: Well, there are no big holidays really coming up. 
Her: Awww! And Valentine's Day is six whole weeks away! 

Yes, my girlfriend is a bit dramatic. I have come to accept this and since moved on.

Me: Martin Luther King Jr.'s birthday is coming up. You got any plans?
Her: (giving me a look) Very funny. We're not going to have anything special to celebrate for a long time!
Me: There's always February 3rd. I wonder what day of the week that is?
Her: What's February 3rd?
Me: Hmmm. Its a Thursday.
Her: What's February 3rd?
Me: You mean you don't know?
Her: No. What is it?
Me: Really? You don't know what it is?
Her: No! What is February 3rd?
Me: Oh this is going to be fun.

The conversation went on like this for some time. To help you envision it, I turned it into a short movie which you can view here. The parts of me and my girlfriend are played by hired actors, though are not representative of our actual appearance. I have much more hair than that. 

But I digress. As the weeks went by, I would bring up the topic of February 3rd. every once in a while. Every time I mentioned it my girlfriend would squeal and say, "What is February 3rd?!" It drove her crazy. In fact, it's still driving her crazy because as of right now, I haven't told her yet. 
She, out of frustration, started googling the date to try and figure out what it was. All she was able to come up with was that February 3rd is the Chinese New Year and the day after Groundhog day. Not very helpful. But while I'm here, Happy Chinese New Year everybody! 

So to help the situation, I started giving her hints. That sounds nice, right? Not so much. Here are the hints I gave:

1) Its an occasion thats specific to us.
2) It will make you roll your eyes.
3) It involves the numbers 6, 1 and 2. Not necessarily together, and not necessarily in that order.
4) It has to do with music.

These clues led her nowhere, just as I had planned. She decided to try and elicit more hints from me. Extra hints. She tried various methods to get me to divulge information. It was sad, because she must have forgotten that I keep secrets better than a British spy. I've been trained in the art of misdirection. Here are some of the answers I gave her:
  • February 3rd is the day after Groundhog Day.
  • February 3rd is the Chinese New Year.
  • February 3rd said your mama is so fat she jumped up in the air and got stuck.
  • February 3rd wrote the best selling book Chicken Soup for the Fuzzy Kitten Calendar.
  • February 3rd has three fingers and 5 toes.
  • February 3rd is responsible for the juvenile obesity epidemic in the America.
  • On February 3rd, the stars and planets will align properly to awaken a giant squid demigod named Cthulhu who will devour the earth.
  • If you grate February 3rd over pasta, it turns purple.
  • February 3rd ran for mayor of Cincinnati in 1977. It lost to Jerry Springer.
  • By the light of the full moon, February 3rd transforms into a half-wolf,half-calendar-day monster and then terrorizes the village.
These of course are mostly untrue. I simply enjoyed making these things up to torture her. In actuality, February 3rd is her half-birthday. (Get it? 1/2?) And cue the eye roll. Happy Half-Birthday Nicole!

No comments:

Post a Comment